Septic system owners need to abide by certain dos and don’ts in order to maintain a healthy system. You have two choices: you can either take care of your septic system, or it will eventually fail.
Avoid a disastrous situation by abiding by these important dos and don’ts.
Septic System Dos:
● Avoid using the garbage disposal.
● Be conscious of your water use; conserve water where possible. Don’t flood your system with water. Spread water use out (I.E. 1-2 loads of laundry/day, 1 dishwasher load each day every few days).
● Have your tank pumped every 2-3 years.
● Learn where your septic system is located and divert water away from it.
Septic System Don’ts:
● Flush (or pour down the drain) unacceptable items and substances.
● Put toxic cleaners or other harmful chemicals down the drain.
● Plant trees or bushes over your septic system.
● Drive a car over your septic system.